We don't have this item in our store right now. Please enquire for availability.
If you come to pick up your order please bring photo ID, if someone else is picking it up on your behalf please contact us prior to pickup.
Once your order has been picked up by the courier please allow 2 working days for North Island addresses, for the South Island allow 3 working days. Rural deliveries and extra-large items may take several additional days.
Shipping costs are automatically calculated during checkout. The price of shipping varies based on the delivery location. Select items may be be eligible for free shipping.
Delivery of oversize items
Oversize items such as very large telescopes may only be available via pickup from a depot or a business address. For a list of available depots, click here
To ensure the safe delivery of your order we require a signature with all parcels. Some exceptions may be made if you give the courier company authority to leave parcels at your preferred address.
About this product
- Classical Cassegrain optical design excels for high-power lunar and planetary observation and imaging
- Long focal length of 2400mm (f/12) "folded" into an optical tube just 25" long - so you won't need a giant mount!
- The 200mm stationary primary mirror - made from thermally stable quartz -- won't exhibit image shift or mirror flop like in a typical Schmidt-Cassegrain or Maksutov
- Precision 2" dual-speed (10:1) linear bearing Crayford focuser with 1.25" adapter.
- Includes TWO dovetail finder scope bases, a D- and V-style mounting bars, and three extension rings to allow focus with different visual or imaging combos.
Get ready for some high-power observation and imaging with our new Orion CC8 8" Classical Cassegrain Telescope! The Classical Cassegrain design hasn't gotten much play among amateur astronomers because they haven't been available except in very large sizes at very high prices. But all that is about to change.
Our 8" f/12 Classical Cassegrain Telescope excels for high-resolution lunar and planetary viewing and imaging, and will get you in close on tight deep-sky objects such as globular clusters and planetary nebulas. In a telescope market currently saturated with short-focal-length, wide-field instruments, the CC8 stands apart by offering something for those wanting serious magnifying capability but in a compact form factor. With an optional 10mm eyepiece you're already probing at 240x magnification! There is no pesky chromatic aberration since there are no lenses as in a refractor.
The Classical Cassegrain optical design utilizes a parabolic primary mirror and a hyperbolic secondary mirror, which for the CC8 allow a long, "folded" focal length of 2400mm to be tucked into a tube just 25" long (including focuser). That compact tube, which weighs under 19 lbs., means the CC8 is easily supported on a modest-size mount such as the Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G, even when equipped for photography with an extension ring and optional finder scope and imaging camera.
Both mirrors are made from quartz, which is more thermally stable than even Pyrex and can take a very fine polish. The enhanced aluminum coating delivers 96% reflectivity, and a quartz overcoat protects the finish. The 200mm primary mirror is fixed in place so you won't get image shift or mirror flop like you do from a typical Schmidt-Cassegrain or Maksutov, whose mirrors slide forward and back when focusing. Also unlike a Schmidt-Cassegrain or Maksutov, the CC8 has no glass on the front end to dew up. It's an open tube with 11 baffle rings inside to control stray light and ensure maximum contrast. The 8" f/12 Classical Cassegrain Telescope features a machined, dual-speed (10:1) 2" Crayford focuser equipped with a sturdy linear-bearing mechanism for enhanced rigidity and stable support of heavy astrophotography equipment. It allows use of 2" accessories, and a 1.25" adapter is included for use of 1.25" eyepieces and accessories.
Sold as optical tube assembly only, the Orion CC8 8" Classical Cassegrain Telescope comes with TWO dovetail finder scope bases, giving you the freedom to mount an optional Orion finder scope on either side of the focuser, or to mount a small guide scope and finder scope simultaneously. A wide, D-plate mounting bar affixed to the bottom of the optical tube allows its attachment to any telescope mounts equipped with a compatible mounting saddle. A narrower, V-style dovetail bar on top is ideal for attaching an optional guide scope or a second telescope. Also included are three glare-threaded extension rings: one 50mm and two 25mm in length, to allow focus with the different eyepiece and diagonal combos or imaging cameras. Backfocus distance from the end of the 2" accessory collar is 166mm.
- User level: Advanced
- Optical design: Reflector
- Optical diameter: 200mm
- Focal length: 2400mm
- Focal ratio: f/12.0
- Resolving power: 0.57arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 29x
- Highest useful magnification: 300x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 400x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 14.2
- Tube material steel
- Length of optical tube: 25.0 in.
- Weight, optical tube: 18.2 lbs.
- Additional included accessories: Two dovetail finder scope bases installed, Losmandy-style mounting plate on the bottom, Vixen-style slotted mounting bar on top Other features: One 2"-length extension ring, Two 1"-length extension rings, Quick collimation cap
- Warranty: One year