About this product
Unleash the power of your smartphone to take you on a guided tour of the night sky - no telescope experience required.
Award-winning and Patent-pending StarSense sky recognition technology uses your smartphone to analyze star patterns overhead and calculate its position in real-time. Check phone compatibility here.
StarSense Explorer app automatically generates a list of objects currently visible. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars from the city. Or take your telescope to darker skies to view faint, deep sky objects.
Manual altazimuth mount with altitude slow motion adjustment with a sliding rod makes it easy to follow the on-screen arrows to your desired target. When the bullseye turns green, it's ready to view in the telescope's eyepiece.
70mm refractor with fully coated glass optics for bright, sharp views.
Includes 25mm and 10mm eyepieces, 2x Barlow Lens, StarSense smartphone dock, erect image diagonal, a red dot finderscope (in case you want to use the telescope without your phone), and a full-height tripod.
Celestron has reinvented the manual telescope with StarSense Explorer—the first telescope that uses your smartphone to analyze the night sky and calculate its position in real-time. StarSense Explorer is ideal for beginners thanks to the app's user-friendly interface and detailed tutorials. It's like having your own personal tour guide of the night sky.
Leave complicated star charts, imprecise planetarium apps, and computerized mounts behind. With StarSense Explorer, locating objects has never been easier, faster, or more accurate. Within minutes of setting up the telescope, you'll be navigating the sky with confidence. Simply place your phone in the unique StarSense dock and launch the StarSense Explorer app. After aligning your phone to the telescope's optics (a quick, 2-minute procedure), StarSense Explorer generates a list of celestial objects currently visible. Make your selection and arrows appear on-screen, guiding you as you to move the telescope. When the object is ready to view, the bullseye turns green.
StarSense Explorer works with most modern smartphones, including iPhone 6 and up and most devices running Android 7.1.2 or later manufactured since 2016.
StarSense Explorer uses patent-pending technology and your smartphone to determine exactly where the telescope is pointed in the night sky. A Lost in Space Algorithm (LISA), like the ones satellites use in orbit to correctly reorient themselves, helps the app match star patterns it detects overhead to its internal database.
While other astronomy apps may claim that they can help you find objects, they rely exclusively on the phone's gyros and accelerometers, which aren't as accurate as LISA technology. No other app can accurately tell you when your target is visible in the eyepiece.
Even if you live in a light polluted city location, StarSense Explorer is advanced enough to be able to pick out Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, the Orion Nebula, double stars, and a few more of the most famous celestial objects.
But if you can take the telescope to an even slightly darker location, more objects will become visible. The entire telescope kit weighs just 7.4 pounds, so it's perfectly portable and easy to bring on your next camping trip or to a remote observing site.
Everything You Need to Observe Immediately is included.
OPTICAL TUBE INFO:
- Optical Design Refractor
- Aperture 70mm (2.76")
- Focal Length 700mm (27.56")
- Focal Ratio f/10
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1 25mm (0.98")
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1 28x
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 2 10mm (0.39")
- Magnification of Eyepiece 2 70x
- Barlow Lens 2x (1.25")
- Finderscope StarPointer™ red dot finderscope
- Star Diagonal Erect image 90° (1.25")
- Optical Tube Aluminum
- Highest Useful Magnification 165x
- Lowest Useful Magnification 10x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude 11.7
- Resolution (Rayleigh) 1.99 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes) 1.66 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye) 100x
- Optical Coatings Fully-Coated glass optics
- Optical Tube Length 812.8mm (32")
- Optical Tube Diameter 76mm (2.99")
- Optical Tube Weight 3.6 lbs (1.63 kg)
- Dovetail None
- MOUNT INFO:
- Mount Type Manual Alt-Azimuth
- Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod) Aluminum, 1320.8mm (52") max height
- Tripod Leg Diameter 31.75mm (1.75") steel
- Accessory Tray Yes
- Tripod Weight 3.8 lbs (1.72 kg)
- Slew Speeds Manual
- GPS Uses phone's GPS
- Dovetail Compatibility None
- Power Requirements None (Recommend PowerTank Glow to keep phone charged while using app)
- Alignment Procedures Use StarSense Explorer app
- Software StarSense Explorer app | SkyPortal app | Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software
- Total Kit Weight 7.4 lbs (3.35 kg)
Included Items: Telescope tube | Mount/tripod (preassembled) | 25mm & 10mm eyepieces | Erect image diagonal | 2x Barlow lens | StarPointer finderscope | Accessory tray | StarSense Explorer phone dock
Fantastic for the time poor and task overwhelmed micro nerd. Real anoraks may dismiss this but it’s a world ****** for the novice. Easy to set up and begin the ‘wow, cool’ moments. Super, super happy with it.
Really easy to setup haven’t be able to take it outside as yet